Sunday, February 20, 2011

learning old truths

I had a very good weekend.  We attended the second weekend of NANC counseling.  It was very much a refresher course because I've heard most of the material before.  Some truths were simplified and stood out to me.  Then I went to bible study on Sunday evening and heard more truth that I should already know.  All to say- despite what you hear over and over again, some truths just hit home. 

The purpose of life is to please God.  That means pleasing God in every little decision that you make throughout the day.  That means, allowing His word to dictate your emotions.  That means your actions and thoughts don't come out of how you feel.  That means you aren't controlled by your whims.  That means, you don't worry, you don't act out in your anger, you don't complain.  God tells how to we are to think and act in every circumstance.  That means you are patient, and joyful and content and you don't get frustrated when circumstances upset your agenda. 

This means learning to live everyday life in a manner that's pleasing to God.  This means thinking about God in every single minute decision of everyday.  For me, this means failing A LOT.  And that's okay.  Because we are to be growing in sanctification not perfection. 

Piper said, "When we are enthralled with God, we forget about ourselves."  And that's where I want to live.  Enthralled with the King of Universe, the Maker, the God of Answers, the One who knows what's best for me.  I'm more than okay with that.  Forget me.  That's what it means to give God glory.  To make the most of him. 

To God be the greatest praise and highest honor and the utmost glory.  Forever and ever, Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment