Tuesday, May 10, 2011

ife lesson meant for a 4 year old

Today a friend came by to drop something off.  While she and I were chatting it up, her son and daughter started fighting over a toy.  My friend pulled her daughter away for a quick talkin' to.  She told her daughter, "you know, just because he doesn't want to play with it your way, doesn't make it wrong.  He can play with it however he wants to."  Hmmm, I wish someone had taught me this before I got married. 

It's been a hard lesson to learn for this gal.  I think doing dishes my way is more efficient and cleaner which makes it the best, duh.  Which means, doing it your way is just plain wrong.  Why wouldn't you want to do it the best way?  Or why would you take that route when it's obviously easier and quicker to take MY route which has already been tested and determined by me as being the best?!  Lately, I've found myself wanting to impose my way on others a lot, not just with my husband.  Sorry Louis, I'm trying, I promise! 

Breastfeeding is OBVIOUSLY best and I don't understand why you don't see that.  This is the BEST method for sleep training and prayer and decluttering, I've tried it myself and I know that it works, even for you too.  Sigh.  I have good intentions and I'm trying to not be pushy.  But it's hard because I want to help.  So I'm learning, put your two cents out there, and if they take it, give yourself a pat on the back and a 'I KNEW IT would work for you!' be grateful that you were able to help them.  And if they don't, hope and pray that they find something that will. 

Anyone else learning anything lately? 

1 comment:

  1. It amazes me to see the little things that God uses in our sanctification and seeing his sovereignty in action. I struggle with the same thing sometimes. Something I read the other day that has really been on my mind regarding the issue was that when we make "you should" statements we are attempting to be the god of someone else's life. That kind of hurt a little bit. ;) But in a good way.

    ReplyDelete